Leverage LinkedIn With A Buzz.
- Job Seeker Account: Upgrade if you can, to this level of account as it allows you to contact hiring leaders through inMail messages, find the profiles of hiring mangers, and identify network contacts at companies.
- Follow the LinkedIn blog because it will keep you current with new releases such as LinkedIn group(s), being synced up with your Outlook and the Better Jobs Faster tactics.
- Use the JobsInsider Toolbar. This ties your browser to job sites you visit and instantly allows you to view your inside connections to that particular firm.
- Don’t blow off event listings. Find out who is attending, and then go. You joined LinkedIn for networking. Do so.
- Keywords = location for a business. Build your profile, summary, work history with your “Value” key word(s) so that recruiters and hiring managers can find you. Be sure to use key words that show your certifications, titles, success factors, key attributes.
- Keep your information current. You don’t need to update it daily with new roles, etc. However, you should realize that professions evolve, and your profile must reflect that. Would you buy you?
- Don’t pander, but get recommended because it builds credibility. Ask those you’ve worked with, suppliers, customers, consultants, etc.
- Get your value & ideas out there. Not just your resume, but add your presentations, blogs, published articles.
- Research and research some more. Financial info on companies is available. So too is information like who has been promoted, hired, left, and so on.
This last point is important and most of the above will not be optimized unless you broadcast that you are in fact looking for employment. Drop the ego, fear, shyness, whatever. Looking for work does not carry the stigma or require the covert Mission Impossible tactics that it once did. We are a free agent nation, no person is indispensable, and we are all temporary.
Charles Buzz Smith is the SR Curmudgeon & VP Consulting Services for OPI Outplacement & Career Transition. A national provider of outplacement and career transition services based in Knoxville, Tennessee.